Ed Davey: 2020 is ‘huge opportunity’ for Lib Dems despite election result
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sir Ed Davey has said that he hopes the result of the general election will present a 'huge opportunity' for the Liberal Democrats in the upcoming year.
The acting leader of the party made the comments in a new year's message pledging to go beyond opposing Brexit and to "shake up the system" by tackling social injustice, create opportunity and act on climate change.
The Lib Dems won 11 seats in an election Davey called "deeply depressing".
Jo Swinson stood down as leader after losing her seat in East Dunbartonshire to the SNP.
In his message, former minister Sir Ed said: "Last December's election was, on several levels, deeply depressing.
You may also want to watch:
"But flip it over. There's actually a huge opportunity here for us, the Liberal Democrats.
"Of course, we've a job to do, continuing to oppose Brexit, to remain Britain's leading pro-European, internationalist party.
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 4 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 5 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 6 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
"Yet that's never been our sole purpose, has it? Liberalism is so much more.
"We've always been a party determined to shake up the system - socially, economically, politically, environmentally.
"We know Liberal Democrats care passionately about tackling social injustice, creating opportunity, beating climate change.
"The question for 2020 is can we show all that to the rest of the UK - our full Liberal purpose?"
Sir Ed said that his new year's resolution will see him working "harder than ever" surgeries to help his constituents with their problems.
"If that sounds like old-fashioned, grassroots, community politics, you're hearing me," he said, urging others to join him.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.