Climate change is more important than Brexit, admits Lib Dem
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Stopping climate change is probably more important than stopping Brexit, Liberal Democrat economic spokesman Sir Ed Davey has admitted.
Speaking on Radio 4's Today Programme, Sir Ed said the Liberal Democrats have pledged to invest heavily in environmental policies as "stopping climate change is probably even more important than stopping Brexit".
"We're doing this today because we believe that stopping climate change is probably even more important than stopping Brexit, it's fundamental to what Liberal Democrats are talking about."
He added: "With these policies we want to make Britain the world's first climate-friendly economy."
The UK's economy will grow if the UK remains in the European Union, he added.
You may also want to watch:
Questioned on the large amount of money being invested in the climate change policy, Sir Ed added: "Because we're staying in the European Union our economy will grow, it will grow faster than proposals from either the Conservative and Labour Party, and because you've got extra growth, we believe our debt burden will fall."
Sir Ed also claimed that a Liberal Democrat government would impose fiscal rules that are "tougher" than those proposed by both the Conservatives and the Labour Party.
- 1 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 4 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 5 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 6 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
- 7 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 8 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 9 Brexiteer MP criticised after suggesting No 10 should break Northern Ireland Protocol
- 10 Senior Tories plan rebellion to back genocide clause to the Trade Bill
He added that by staying in the EU, the Liberal Democrats will be "far more economically responsible" than any other party.
"We're actually supporting a new fiscal rule today that the Resolution Foundation have proposed, and it's basically using all of the government's balance sheet, and saying as long as you're improving the balance sheet, so your assets are growing faster than your liabilities, you've got sustainable approaches to managing debt and investment.
"So we're actually going to have tough fiscal rules. Actually on current spending, our fiscal rules are going to be tougher than the Conservatives and the Labour Party.
"Why? Because we believe the next government has to be very economically responsible.
"And first of all by staying in the EU we'll be economically responsible on growth, but on our fiscal rules, we'll ensure that our overall spending package, whether it's on current spending or capital spending, we'll be far more responsible than either of the other parties."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.