Eddie Izzard completes 29 marathons in every EU capital over the whole of February
- Credit: Archant
Comedian Eddie Izzard has ran 29 marathons in 29 days in an attempt to 'spread unity and hope' after Brexit day.
The Remain supporter raised more than £135,000 in donations from more than 6,000 donors on a Crowdfunding website after running more than 760 miles in the marathons - which took place every day in February.
Starting in London on February 1st, the day after Brexit day, Izzard ran across every EU capital before completing his 29th back in the UK.
Cities included Lisbon, Madrid, Rome, Nicosia, Budapest, Vienna, Riga, Helsinki, Bratislava, Tallinn, and Brussels.
Updating his social media followers throughout the journey, Izzard aimed to #MakeHumanityGreatAgain by raising money for UNICEF projects which specialise in supporting cultural exchange, learning and understanding.
You may also want to watch:
Announcing his plans in January, he said: "In our country and our world there has been far too much talk of division. We can change this by talking of unity.
"As Europeans we have achieved so much since 1945, no matter how legal agreements might have changed over the years. Peace, friendship, trade, even love. A sharing of cultures without losing our identities. That is the true power of union.
- 1 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 2 Why is devout Jacob Rees-Mogg so quiet about Boris Johnson's affairs?
- 3 Dominic Cummings' new venture could cause concern for No 10
- 4 Government deletes pro-Scottish independence blog post
- 5 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
- 6 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 7 Roman Kemp: Depression and coping with George Michael's death
- 8 DUP MP launches legal action against government over Brexit
- 9 Laurence Fox says ‘paedophile’ is ‘meaningless and baseless’ insult
- 10 JPMorgan 'considering' move of all EU business out of London, bank boss says
"So today, let's start to put these divisions behind us. It is the perfect day to start something I have dreamt of doing for many years: run through 28 of the capitals of Europe."
- To donate to Eddie's cause visit the Crowdfunder website.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.