WATCH: Elton John attacks ‘completely ridiculous’ Brexit promises
- Credit: Archant
Sir Elton John has launched a blistering attack on Brexit and the 'completely ridiculous' promises made by Leavers.
In a Channel 4 News interview the British singer claimed that those who backed Brexit did not know what they were voting for backing in June 2016.
You may also want to watch:
He claimed: 'I don't think people in Britain were told the truth to start with. I don't think they knew exactly what they were voting for. They were promised something that was completely ridiculous and wasn't economically viable. And then it's got so complicated now I just don't know what's going on.'
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
He also likened the Brexit to vote to 'walking through Hampton Court maze blindfolded, being turned around 16 times and trying to find your way out'.
He added: 'They were promised something that was completely ridiculous and wasn't economically viable.
'There's a new cereal called Brexit. You eat it and you throw up afterwards.'
The popstar also said that he believed US president Donald Trump had 'the ability to become the president that ended Aids'.
'We have the drugs to stop this disease now and all it takes is for Putin, Trump, Merkel, Macron, Trudeau to say 'let's do one great humanitarian thing … Let's just end this disease'. They can do it like that, and that makes me so frustrated.'
Sir Elton also hit out at Russia's treatment of the LGBT community.
'If there wasn't this discrimination we could get rid of the disease far quicker', he asserted.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.