WATCH: Elton John attacks ‘completely ridiculous’ Brexit promises
- Credit: Archant
Sir Elton John has launched a blistering attack on Brexit and the 'completely ridiculous' promises made by Leavers.
In a Channel 4 News interview the British singer claimed that those who backed Brexit did not know what they were voting for backing in June 2016.
You may also want to watch:
He claimed: 'I don't think people in Britain were told the truth to start with. I don't think they knew exactly what they were voting for. They were promised something that was completely ridiculous and wasn't economically viable. And then it's got so complicated now I just don't know what's going on.'
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 10 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
He also likened the Brexit to vote to 'walking through Hampton Court maze blindfolded, being turned around 16 times and trying to find your way out'.
He added: 'They were promised something that was completely ridiculous and wasn't economically viable.
'There's a new cereal called Brexit. You eat it and you throw up afterwards.'
The popstar also said that he believed US president Donald Trump had 'the ability to become the president that ended Aids'.
'We have the drugs to stop this disease now and all it takes is for Putin, Trump, Merkel, Macron, Trudeau to say 'let's do one great humanitarian thing … Let's just end this disease'. They can do it like that, and that makes me so frustrated.'
Sir Elton also hit out at Russia's treatment of the LGBT community.
'If there wasn't this discrimination we could get rid of the disease far quicker', he asserted.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.