Remainers to take part in ‘emergency protests’ to defend democracy
- Credit: PA
Emergency protests will take place this evening in response to Boris Johnson's plan to prorogue parliament ahead of the Brexit deadline date.
The main event has been organised by the left-wing Another Europe is Possible group, with the activists are calling for anti-Brexit campaigners to take to the streets to "defend democracy".
On a Facebook event, the group writes: "Boris Johnson is trying to shut down our democracy to deliver on his Brexit agenda. This is disgraceful, but we can't just rely on the courts or parliamentary process to save the day. We all have a duty to stand up and be counted."
It will take place at 5.30pm on College Green, with the group promising more protests across the country on Saturday.
Supporters include the Green Party deputy leader Amelia Womack, Scientists4EU's Mike Galsworthy, left-wing commentator Owen Jones and anti-Brexit youth groups For Our Future's Sake and Our Future Our Choice.
You may also want to watch:
Other events taking place around the United Kingdom include a protest in Manchester at 4pm, Edinburgh at 4pm, Tavistock in Devon at 5.30pm, 6pm in Cardiff, Durham at 6pm, Cambridge at 6pm, Chester at 7pm and Brighton at 5.30pm. A protest takes place in Leeds on Thursday at 5.30pm.
- Are you organising an event in protest? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- See more protest and event listings on our website here.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 7 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 8 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.