Emily Thornberry speech applauded as she breaks from script to urge party to back Remain
- Credit: Archant
Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry has been applauded for breaking from her script to urge the Labour Party to back Remain.
In scenes that will irritate the Labour leadership, Thornberry urged members at conference to vote for the pro-Remain motion presented at conference, rather than the NEC's motion which would have allowed Jeremy Corbyn to delay a decision until after a general election.
She also committed herself to campaigning to keeping the UK in the European Union if a second vote takes place.
She said: "As Peter Kyle [Labour MP for Hove] has said, we must fight with every fibre of our beings to say between now and October 31, and afterwards if there is a general election, that any terms of departure, from any government, must go back to the people for the final say.
"They should have the option to Remain, and I for one will be out there campaigning to remain."
You may also want to watch:
In the conclusion of her speech the Labour MP for Islington North told activists: "With your endorsement today, conference, with the instructions that I hope you give us today, I believe we must strive night and day, whatever it takes, to keep Britain in the European Union."
The Labour frontbencher also used her speech to hit out at Boris Johnson.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 9 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 10 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
"In my entire time in parliament, I have never shadowed anyone so lazy, so incompetent, so deceitful and reckless, so utterly unsuited to the job of prime minister," she told a packed out hall in Brighton.
Thornberry was one of several frontbenchers to join the People's Vote rally to Remain outside Labour conference over the weekend.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.