‘What on earth is going on?’ - Presenter ponders over ‘eerie silence’ from MPs about Brexit
- Credit: Archant
A BBC host has complained about the 'weird eerie silence' coming from MPs in Westminster, who appear to be avoiding talking about the Brexit issue.
BBC Radio 5 Live and Newsnight presenter Emma Barnett said that she had received 'zero' information to update her listeners on Britain's departure from the EU and that 'no-one can find anyone to say anymore'.
She also criticised the fact ministers continue to claim that we won't be fighting European elections, despite the fact they are less than a month away.
She said: 'The prime minister is still Theresa May and we still don't know how we are leaving the European Union and even when.
'Weirdly even though MPs are back after they Easter recess… there is a sort of weird eerie silence that has descended upon the place. I have zero to update you on about Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
'Seriously I really don't. I have already done an interview this morning, with the shadow housing minister, tried to get an update on those talks between Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May. He says the jury is still out.
'The talks are deadlocked between them. MPs are deadlocked and can't find alternatives.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 6 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 9 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 10 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
'In fact, the only thing we seem to know for certain is that we are hurtling towards those European elections next month, the very same elections the Tories under Theresa May said 'we will not be fighting'.'
She continued: 'What on earth is going on? It's like there is this huge elephant in Westminster, and no one can find anything to say anymore.
'What has got to give in this process. Does the fact that Brexit has disappeared off the front page of the newspapers while party officials try to find their way through, fill you with perhaps some sort of hope that now the time for deals to be done behind closed doors is happening?
'Or do you think that now because the mood music we are hearing is very far from that, no-one seems willing to budge, and we are getting no further along in the process?
'Given how much chaos and misery and division it's caused do our politicians need to let us know what is going on with Brexit to keep up the pressure we have seen over the past three months?'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.