Toddler speaks more sense than most politicians with call for ‘People’s Vote now!’
- Credit: Archant
When political debate is dominated by the likes of Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, it can be hard to find the voice of someone who speaks sense when it comes to Europe.
But now one little toddler has become an internet hit after managing something Jeremy Corbyn can't - a clear position on Brexit.
Born just three months before the referendum, Britain's withdrawal from the European Union has already been a big issue in little Ethan Taylor's life.
He went along with his mother Sally Taylor when she voted Remain in the 2016 poll, with Mrs Taylor saying: "I really felt like we were voting for his future.
"Since that summer, I've felt quite sad.
You may also want to watch:
"I worry very much that he will miss out on the opportunities that my generation have had."
However Ethan, now aged three, seems determined to help change the future.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
He accompanied his parents to both People's Vote marches, walking the entire route of the second protest and enjoying the party atmosphere.
"Even at the age of three, he's got a sense of right and wrong," his mum said.
It was at the marches that he picked up the phrase "People's Vote now!" - and when Mrs Taylor, 40, went to vote in the European elections, the "strong-willed" child's calls for a second vote became even louder.
She later filmed his rallying cry at their home in Hertford, posting it on Twitter with the words: "When your toddler speaks more sense than most politicians…"
The video is only eight seconds long but so far Ethan has shown more clarity on Brexit than Labour politicians have during hundreds of hours of television interviews.
And with thousands of views and counting so far, Ethan is fast gaining popularity a crowded field of Tory leadership candidates could only dream of.
Mrs Taylor said: "Ethan was born three months before the first referendum and came with me to vote - I say the first, because I'm hoping there will be a second.
"I had the privilege of growing up a European and benefited from the cultural opportunities of that. I want Ethan to have those same opportunities."
As for Ethan's future, Mrs Taylor said: "I want him to make his own decisions and have his own sense of what's right and wrong.
"I don't know how he will be politically but he's already an adventurer. I hope he'll have a strong sense of social justice in a world where more people are out for themselves. I hope he will continue to be a kind kid who cares about other people."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.