More than a thousand people sign Valentine’s Day card to EU
- Credit: Archant
On the eve of the Feast of St Valentine, where people across the European continent and beyond show their affection to their loved ones and closest friends, a giant greeting card has been sent from citizens in the UK to the European parliament in Strasbourg.
The Valentine's Day card is a project run by EU Flag Mafia, with the support of pro-EU grassroots groups across the UK, and has been signed by more than a thousand Brits in just a few days.
Despite the UK no longer being a member of the European Union, supporters of the project wished to demonstrate that there is still a huge support here for the EU and its ideals.
Campaigners also intended to demonstrate that many British citizens still feel European at heart.
Collecting many hundreds of digital signatures and handwritten messages in a small space of time, the project has created a large physical card, running over a dozen pages, and sent it to representatives in the European parliament.
You may also want to watch:
Receiving the card on behalf of the European Union is German Green MEP Terry Reintke who last month set up the EU-UK Friendship group aiming to forge closer links with the UK as it ceased to be a member state of the EU.
The group has over 70 members at its inaugural meeting, which at the time represented over 10% of the European parliament.
- You can contribute your signature to the card by visiting alliwantis.eu/sign
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 6 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 7 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 8 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 9 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 10 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.