Local Elections: These people could be voting for the last time
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
For three million people today this could be the last ever time they have the democratic right to vote in the UK.
EU law gives every European citizen a vote in local and European elections wherever they live in the European Union.
However, with Theresa May's Brexit deadline just 330 days away this could be the last chance three million EU nationals will be able to exercise their vote in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
With Brexit negotiations still yet to provide any clarity about the rights of EU nationals living in the UK, there is still no guarantee they will be able to continue voting in local elections.
- 1 Boris Johnson: Liar of the land
- 2 Why so many on the left think Jews don't count
- 3 Bookmakers rate chances of UK rejoining EU by 2026 at 5/1
- 4 Campaign urges Brits to declare themselves 'European' on 2021 census
- 5 The end of Britain is nigh: Here's how, when and why...
- 6 French diplomat brands Boris Johnson 'a liar' who will blame Brexit costs on Covid
- 7 David Lammy: Don't fall for the right's culture wars trap
- 8 What would Matt Hancock have to do for Labour to call for him to go?
- 9 World's largest daffodil farm forced to let flowers rot in fields due to Brexit staffing issues
- 10 The Finnish city aiming for carbon neutrality in just four years
EU nationals were also excluded from voting in the 2016 EU referendum – even though the result will impact the future of each and every one of them.
What do you think? Send your views to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.