Local Elections: These people could be voting for the last time
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
For three million people today this could be the last ever time they have the democratic right to vote in the UK.
EU law gives every European citizen a vote in local and European elections wherever they live in the European Union.
However, with Theresa May's Brexit deadline just 330 days away this could be the last chance three million EU nationals will be able to exercise their vote in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
With Brexit negotiations still yet to provide any clarity about the rights of EU nationals living in the UK, there is still no guarantee they will be able to continue voting in local elections.
- 1 Boris Johnson’s latest offence shouldn’t be overlooked
- 2 Our PM demonstrates why Latin lessons plan is a bad idea
- 3 The cannabis conundrum
- 4 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 5 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 6 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 7 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 10 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
EU nationals were also excluded from voting in the 2016 EU referendum – even though the result will impact the future of each and every one of them.
What do you think? Send your views to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.