Local Elections: These people could be voting for the last time
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
For three million people today this could be the last ever time they have the democratic right to vote in the UK.
EU law gives every European citizen a vote in local and European elections wherever they live in the European Union.
However, with Theresa May's Brexit deadline just 330 days away this could be the last chance three million EU nationals will be able to exercise their vote in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
With Brexit negotiations still yet to provide any clarity about the rights of EU nationals living in the UK, there is still no guarantee they will be able to continue voting in local elections.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 6 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 7 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
EU nationals were also excluded from voting in the 2016 EU referendum – even though the result will impact the future of each and every one of them.
What do you think? Send your views to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.