Europeans will need passports to enter UK from October 2021
- Credit: PA
Passports will be required from EU citizens to enter the UK from October 2021.
The government confirmed European Union, European Economic Area and Swiss identity cards will no longer be accepted as a valid travel document from next autumn, after the end of the transition period.
It said they were among the "least secure" documents seen at borders and insisting on passports "will strengthen our security as the UK takes back control of its borders at the end of the transition period."
However, this will not include Irish and Gibraltarian citizens.
The updated Border Operating Model published by the Cabinet Office on Thursday will also affect British truckers.
You may also want to watch:
After the transition period ends on December 31, they will need an access permit to drive into Kent on the way to Dover.
The government said the service will be "easy-to-use".
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 3 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 6 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 7 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 8 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 9 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 10 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.