Europeans will need passports to enter UK from October 2021
- Credit: PA
Passports will be required from EU citizens to enter the UK from October 2021.
The government confirmed European Union, European Economic Area and Swiss identity cards will no longer be accepted as a valid travel document from next autumn, after the end of the transition period.
It said they were among the "least secure" documents seen at borders and insisting on passports "will strengthen our security as the UK takes back control of its borders at the end of the transition period."
However, this will not include Irish and Gibraltarian citizens.
The updated Border Operating Model published by the Cabinet Office on Thursday will also affect British truckers.
You may also want to watch:
After the transition period ends on December 31, they will need an access permit to drive into Kent on the way to Dover.
The government said the service will be "easy-to-use".
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 4 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 5 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 6 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 7 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 8 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 9 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 10 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.