More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
With 65 days to go until the UK leaves the EU single market and customs union, the approval rating of the EU leadership has never been higher among Britons, according to a new poll.
The latest Gallup polling finds that 49% of Britons approve of the EU leadership, a 12 point rise from the 37% figure polled in March 2016, a few months before the EU referendum.
Approval of the EU is now at its highest level in more than a decade, and since the pollster has been asking the question, with support rising over the last four years since the referendum was held.
It puts the EU leadership at a higher level of support with those in the UK than support Boris Johnson's premiership, which Is now close to matching Theresa May’s score in her final year as prime minister. despite their Brexit strategy diverging significantly.
In 2019, Theresa May recorded the lowest approval rating, 36%, given to a UK leader since Gallup began polling on this question. In the current round of polling conducted in August and September, Boris Johnson scored 38%.
You may also want to watch:
The past three Tory prime ministers -- David Cameron, May and Johnson -- have all seen their disapproval ratings in the region of 60%.
By contrast, when asked to rate German chancellor Angela Merkel’s performance, 67% of the British public polled approved, up from 60% in 2019.
- 1 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 2 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 3 Major disaster: How Tories' 1992 victory sowed seeds of Brexit
- 4 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
- 5 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 6 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 7 Five years of Brexit summed up by Cold War Steve
- 8 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 9 English to be temporarily replaced by French as EU's 'working language' in 2022
- 10 The 40 best European TV shows to stream
Gallup said that it showed that Germany's leadership has resonated with Britons - showing more approval for Merkel than their own.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.