Dutch officials confiscate ham sandwiches from UK visitors over Brexit rules
- Credit: NPO
Border officials in the Netherlands have confiscated ham sandwiches and other food items from UK travellers due to post-Brexit rules.
Dutch TV network NPO filmed customs patrols explaining to arrivals that they cannot take meat or dairy products into the EU.
One driver who arrived by ferry at the Hook of Holland sea port was left bemused after being told he would lose his ham sandwiches.
The man asked whether he can “take off the meat and you leave me the bread?”
But a border guard responded: “No, everything will be confiscated. Welcome to the Brexit, sir. I’m sorry.”
New arrangements for UK travellers in the EU came into force when the Brexit transition period ended on December 31.
- 1 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 2 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 3 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 4 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 5 Rabbits defeat French army
- 6 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
- 9 What IS the liberal response to the migrant crisis?
- 10 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.