Michel Barnier to make Brexit announcement
- Credit: PA
The EU's chief negotiator is reportedly set to make an announcement on Brexit on Tuesday.
Barnier will update EU ambassadors at 3pm GMT before addressing MEPs at 5pm.
It comes after reports overnight on Boris Johnson's new compromise on fishing arrangements.
According to EU sources, British demand for a 60% reduction in the catch by value in British waters had been reduced to 35% in a "final offer" from Number 10, close to the 25% reduction that Barnier had said he was willing to accept.
The Guardian reports that "Johnson has also accepted a five-year phase-in period for the new arrangements, with a compromise also likely on the application of tariffs or export bans on goods where fishing access changes after the phase-in period".
You may also want to watch:
Despite the significant shift from Number 10, EU officials speaking to Bloomberg say the bloc is likely to reject the concessions, as member states with large fishing fleets asked by Ursula von der Leyen’s senior team to think over the offer.
Nonetheless MPs are being lined up to vote on a possible deal at the end of next week - with a decision expected hours before the end of the transition period.
On Monday the prime minister was criticised for seemingly laughing at the prospect of a no-deal Brexit, after he was asked whether the UK was likely to leave with or without a deal in the next week.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 5 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 6 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 7 New research reveals half of Brexit supporters were not 'left behind' red-wall voters
- 8 Welsh government refused permission for legal challenge over post-Brexit bill
- 9 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 10 Annalena Baerbock: Can the Queen of Green seize the Bundestag?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.