Michel Barnier to make Brexit announcement
- Credit: PA
The EU's chief negotiator is reportedly set to make an announcement on Brexit on Tuesday.
Barnier will update EU ambassadors at 3pm GMT before addressing MEPs at 5pm.
It comes after reports overnight on Boris Johnson's new compromise on fishing arrangements.
According to EU sources, British demand for a 60% reduction in the catch by value in British waters had been reduced to 35% in a "final offer" from Number 10, close to the 25% reduction that Barnier had said he was willing to accept.
The Guardian reports that "Johnson has also accepted a five-year phase-in period for the new arrangements, with a compromise also likely on the application of tariffs or export bans on goods where fishing access changes after the phase-in period".
You may also want to watch:
Despite the significant shift from Number 10, EU officials speaking to Bloomberg say the bloc is likely to reject the concessions, as member states with large fishing fleets asked by Ursula von der Leyen’s senior team to think over the offer.
Nonetheless MPs are being lined up to vote on a possible deal at the end of next week - with a decision expected hours before the end of the transition period.
On Monday the prime minister was criticised for seemingly laughing at the prospect of a no-deal Brexit, after he was asked whether the UK was likely to leave with or without a deal in the next week.
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 3 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 4 Television drama to focus on Boris Johnson's first year in Downing Street
- 5 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 6 Michael Gove among 14 Tory MPs revealed to have joined banned Parler app
- 7 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 8 The Tory MPs who failed to vote against a Universal Credit cut
- 9 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 10 UK has highest Covid-19 death rate in world
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.