Petition calls for Brexit transition period to be extended
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Campaigners are embarking on a fresh bid to get the Brexit transition period extended during the continuation of the Covid-19 crisis.
More than ten thousand have already signed a petition requesting an extension, which would also look to hold a referendum on any trade deal agreed with the EU, meaning the government must respond.
It comes as talks between the EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier and government sherpa David Frost continue to struggle.
The petition text reads: "During the one-year extension, the UK government should conclude negotiations and then conduct a second referendum when the UK public can assent or reject the agreed terms.
"Only by conducting a second referendum on any agreed UK-EU relationship can the UK public truly have its say.
You may also want to watch:
"A rejection of the agreed future trading relationship would mean that the UK government must commit to seeking a further extension(s) of the transition period, followed by negotiation on re-entry to the EU."
Campaigner Bob Downie said the scale of the coronavirus meant it was time the UK government “take a step back from the Brexit negotiations and take a breather”.
- 1 Former trade minister rows back on comment of Brexit deal being 'easiest in human history'
- 2 James O'Brien confronts Vote Leave supporters who think Remainers want Brexit to fail
- 3 'Festival of Brexit' to receive £29m from Rishi Sunak's spending review
- 4 Commons speaker interrupts PMQs to remind Boris Johnson to answer questions
- 5 Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- 6 German MEP says 'messy' UK negotiation strategy behind need for last-minute Brexit talks
- 7 Telegraph columnist slammed for suggesting Priti Patel is too short to be a bully
- 8 PMQs: Keir Starmer accuses government of 'clean sweep' of ministerial code breaches
- 9 PMQs Review: The one with the clean sweep
- 10 Police chief 'not sorry' after saying Brexiteers were 'turkeys voting for Christmas'
Those supporting the petition includes pro-EU campaigner AC Grayling, who tweeted: "As a matter of urgency the UK must seek an extension of the transition period from our EU friends.
"For the UK this is existential. It probably won't matter to the Downing Sttreet lot, but it would be of help to our EU friends not to have a crippled sinking country 20 miles offshore."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.