Want to retain EU citizenship after Brexit? This petition could help
- Credit: Archant
The European Commission has backed a newly-launched petition calling for Britons to be able to retain EU rights after Brexit.
The petition – 'Permanent European Union Citizen' – has this week launched as a European Citizens' Initiative (ECI).
'The main objective of the proposed initiative is to guarantee that European citizenship and its associated rights cannot be lost once they have been attained,' the Commission claimed.
'The organisers cite in particular the context of Brexit and the future loss of EU citizenship and rights to UK citizens.'
Brits will lose EU citizenship if Brexit happens – either in March 2019 or after a transitional period at a later date.
You may also want to watch:
An ECI allows EU citizens to challenge the Commission in areas where it can legislate. It requires one million signatures from at least seven of 28 member states for a petition to be considered.
Although not a binding agreement, it could lead to legislation to ensure British citizens are given EU citizenship after Brexit. This would grant specific rights to citizens such as the right to travel and live anywhere in the EU, and vote and stand in specific European elections.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 6 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 7 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
Guy Verhofstadt, chief Brexit negotiator for the European Parliament, tweeted: 'Many Brits are distraught their EU citizenship is being taken from them. The decision by @EU_Commission to open a petition on this is important & deserves support. The @Europarl_EN & I have repeatedly called for an examination on how to mitigate this loss.'
• To sign the petition visit the European Citizens' Initiative website• MORE: Tips on other ways to remain an EU citizen after Brexit
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.