Want to retain EU citizenship after Brexit? This petition could help
- Credit: Archant
The European Commission has backed a newly-launched petition calling for Britons to be able to retain EU rights after Brexit.
The petition – 'Permanent European Union Citizen' – has this week launched as a European Citizens' Initiative (ECI).
'The main objective of the proposed initiative is to guarantee that European citizenship and its associated rights cannot be lost once they have been attained,' the Commission claimed.
'The organisers cite in particular the context of Brexit and the future loss of EU citizenship and rights to UK citizens.'
Brits will lose EU citizenship if Brexit happens – either in March 2019 or after a transitional period at a later date.
You may also want to watch:
An ECI allows EU citizens to challenge the Commission in areas where it can legislate. It requires one million signatures from at least seven of 28 member states for a petition to be considered.
Although not a binding agreement, it could lead to legislation to ensure British citizens are given EU citizenship after Brexit. This would grant specific rights to citizens such as the right to travel and live anywhere in the EU, and vote and stand in specific European elections.
- 1 A lesson from the last of Mainwaring's men
- 2 Scathing report accuses Boris Johnson of 'only caring for England'
- 3 Nick Clegg says EU 'let itself and millions of Europeans' down over Covid vaccine programme
- 4 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 5 European Council president faces call to resign over 'Sofagate' incident
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 No 10 rewrote race disparity report, expert claims
- 8 Exports to EU increase in February after record fall
- 9 Sturgeon attacks Westminster decision to refer Holyrood Bills to Supreme Court
- 10 Former chief scientist accuses Boris Johnson of privatising NHS 'by stealth'
Guy Verhofstadt, chief Brexit negotiator for the European Parliament, tweeted: 'Many Brits are distraught their EU citizenship is being taken from them. The decision by @EU_Commission to open a petition on this is important & deserves support. The @Europarl_EN & I have repeatedly called for an examination on how to mitigate this loss.'
• To sign the petition visit the European Citizens' Initiative website• MORE: Tips on other ways to remain an EU citizen after Brexit
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.