Ex-Sunderland manager warns Tory vote ‘not just an own goal, but self-relegation’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
While the prime minister and Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage were visiting the North East, the ex-Sunderland FC manager Peter Reid warned the public about voting for either of their parties.
Reid also accused both Boris Johnson and Farage of lying and tricking the people of the region.
In an explosive rant targeting both leaders, he said: "If this election was a match, I'd have probably been sent off.
"There is no way I could stay on the touchline and watch the good people of Sunderland or Sedgefield or the wider North East be lied to and tricked by the likes of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage."
After working on Manchester City and Southampton, Reid managed Sunderland football club from 1995 to 2002 before going on to other teams.
You may also want to watch:
Reid is backing local candidates calling for a second referendum, including Phil Wilson, Bridget Philipson and Julie Elliot.
The former England international said: "There's a statue next to the Stadium of Light.
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 4 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 5 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 6 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 7 Ed Miliband mocks Kwasi Kwarteng's 'road to Damascus conversion'
- 8 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
- 9 Backlash over Tory MP receiving Covid-19 vaccine despite not being classed as vulnerable
- 10 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
"A working-class man in a flat clap, a woman wearing a scarf and two children reaching for a ball. No top hat and tails. No sign of privilege. No Eton scarf or Bullingdon Club cravat.
"But a placard saying today's fans represent those past and those who will follow. It's the same this election. How people vote on Thursday impacts on the lives of kids following.
"You vote Tory or Brexit Party then you take opportunity away from kids of the North East, you vote to make the poorest poorer, you vote to put our NHS in the sweaty hands of Donald Trump.
"It's not just an own goal, it's self-relegation."
READ MORE: Watch as Dominic Raab's constituents react to his worst quotesREAD MORE: 'Hypocrite' Lord Sugar endorses Boris Johnson after repeatedly calling for his imprisonmentHe made the comments as Boris Johnson visited Sunderland in a bid to gather support from typically working class Labour voting strongholds.
Johnson is telling voted that Labour has 'betrayed' them over Brexit. However, Reid claims: "Johnson is not your mate. Ex-Tory Farage is not your mate. They just want your votes. And are hoping to sell us a pup twice.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.