Brexiteers call for flying of European flag to be made illegal
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Leavers are calling for the flying of European flags to be made illegal after the UK departs from the European Union.
The pro-Brexit newspaper the Daily Express has ran an article asking readers whether or not the activity of flying a European flag after Brexit should be against the law.
At present 87% of readers are calling for the law to be passed, prompting Brexiteers to turn to Twitter to call for politicians to action it.
"Yes it should be made illegal, come our independence day there should be a public EU flag burning ceremony," responded one.
"The UK should make it illegal for the Antidemocratic EU flag to be flown or displayed anywhere within Britain," tweeted another at Boris Johnson.
You may also want to watch:
"It should carry a 3 month prison sentence & £5k fine," said another, copying in home secretary Priti Patel.
Others suggested car license plates with EU flags should also be made illegal.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 4 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 5 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 6 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
- 9 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
"Time to ban the EU flag on UK number plates. Say by the end of 2020, it should be treated as any other illegal plate," read one tweet.
"Our flag our country show the pride fly the flag" posted Anna Cottage.
Remain activists, on the other hand, reacted with fury. They noted that the flag is not just that of the EU but the council of Europe.
"It's not the 'EU Flag', it's the European Flag, adopted by the Council of Europe in 1955. The UK was a founder member of the Council in 1949, and will be remaining as such. Therefore the UK is perfectly entitled to fly the flag," replied one.
"We're not living in a police state yet - or are we?" asked Marilyn Holness.
Lord Storey on the Lib Dems tweeted: "I see Daily Express is carrying out a poll as to whether it should be illegal to fly the EU flag from Public Buildings - more importantly should it be illegal to buy the Daily Express."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.