Letter: Time for a change of tactics?
- Credit: Archant
Tens of thousands of us march against Brexit in Leeds, Edinburgh, Brighton, Oxford and the rest making it onto the national news agenda. A handful of Brexiteers throw dead fish off a boat and the coverage is everywhere.
This will shock some TNE readers but it isn't an example of mainstream media bias against Brexit. It is a failure of our imaginations. Marches are what we on the left do; they're in our DNA. But do they get much cut-through with the public? They don't with the media unless they're in middle of London and too big to ignore.
Publicity stunts are so-called because they get publicity. We should try some. A day where we all wear blue and yellow to support the EU. An hour where everyone boycotts Facebook because of Cambridge Analytica. A mass ABBA flashmob to show our love of European culture.
Just nothing as crap as throwing dead fish around.
You may also want to watch:
• Send your letters for publication to email@example.com
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 3 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 4 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- 7 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 8 Government hands private companies £180m to carry out Brexit contracts
- 9 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 10 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.