‘It was never meant to happen, Brexit was just a game for politicians’ says Irish journalist
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Brexit was only meant to be a game for politicians, and was never intended to happen, a leading Irish journalist has explained.
Fintan O'Toole said that the Brexiteers only intended for the EU referendum to be used for political purposes, and they did not plan for winning.
He told James O'Brien on LBC that the Brexiteers do not want to be the ones to admit that they may have made the wrong choice, but that they realised they had made a grave error of judgement.
He said: 'Nobody wants to lose face. Nobody wants to admit that they might have made a mistake.
'The real secret of Brexit is that it was never meant to be serious, you know. It was a game these people were playing and it was a game they were playing entirely for their own political purposes, but also just because it was quite fun and it seemed to have no consequences.'
You may also want to watch:
He said that Boris Johnson had compared it to throwing stones over a wall.
'Boris once said it was like throwing stones over your neighbour's wall and listening to their glass houses shatter. You know, it's quite fun. Except that of course the glass houses are real people now.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 6 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 7 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 8 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 9 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
'This has become jobs, it's become people's prospects, this is going to have catastrophic consequences for everybody except themselves of course.'
He added that all of the Brexiteers advocating Brexit have 'lifeboats'.
MORE: Get The New European for just £1 an issue with this Black Friday deal'Rees-Mogg has just moved his two big hedge funds to Dublin to avoid Brexit. Nigel Lawson, who's chair of the Leave campaign is off in France. Farage has German passports for his children.
'All of that is well known. I think what you need to say to people is, 'Look they're not making a sacrifice here, you are the sacrifice. Are you happy being sacrificed?''
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.