Flood of young voters as 130,000 applications submitted on EU election registration deadline day
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Over 130,000 voter registration applications have been handed on the deadline for voting in the EU elections, with over half of them from young voters.
The rush was more than four times the daily average for the previous week.
More than half the applications - 57% - came from people aged 34 and under, while just 7% came from people aged 65 and over.
The elections, to take place on May 23, were only formally confirmed on the same day as the voter registration deadline.
READ: EU elections confirmed as government admits it won't pass its Brexit deal in timeThe late notice of the elections has prompted fears for participation, particularly for non-UK EU citizens based here.
They have to fill in and return a second form which declares they have not voted in the EU elections in their own country.
READ: Less than 0.01% of EU citizens' voter forms received due to election 'havoc', say MPsA total of 130,766 applications were submitted on Tuesday, while Monday saw 38,325, and Sunday had 19,535.
You may also want to watch:
The rush to register has also beaten the spike that came on April 11, which was the day before the deadline for voting in last week's local council elections.
Tuesday's spike was also higher than the one recorded on April 11 - the day before the deadline for voting in the local elections - when 124,571 applications were submitted.
- 1 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 7 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 8 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 9 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 10 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
The deadline to apply for a postal vote for the EU elections is 5pm on Wednesday, May 8.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.