Letter: Pro-Brexit bias is even worse on Sky News
- Credit: Archant
Much has been said over the BBC's possible Brexit bias, but what about Sky News, asks a reader.
Much has been said over the BBC's possible Brexit bias, but what about Sky News' Sunrise? What is the point of having two guests in its Paper Review, if articles are shared between the pundits for them to tackle on their own, and in the process articles involving Brexit are commonly handed over to Brexiters?
This was very much the situation on the morning of May 7th; when the two-member panel included the campaign manager of the right-wing Taxpayers' Alliance, Chloe Westley.
Given a solo run at Theresa May's customs partnership plans, Miss Westley launched into a denunciation of them being indistinguishable from the customs union, how this would be 'a betrayal of the vote' and what a 'huge opportunity' leaving the customs union would be. At no time was the other contributor, disability campaigner Will Pike, asked to comment.
Three days before, very much the same had happened: Liz Kershaw was given a Daily Express article headlined 'The EU is dying', so she went on one of her anti-EU rants about 'their customs union trading bloc, bureaucratic, monolithic dinosaur, whatever you want to call it'. Neither the news presenter nor the other contributor challenged her. Often, this part of Sunrise seems to have become a mouthpiece for Brexit propaganda.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 3 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 6 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 7 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 8 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 9 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 10 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
• Send your letters for publication to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.