Letter: Pro-Brexit bias is even worse on Sky News
- Credit: Archant
Much has been said over the BBC's possible Brexit bias, but what about Sky News, asks a reader.
Much has been said over the BBC's possible Brexit bias, but what about Sky News' Sunrise? What is the point of having two guests in its Paper Review, if articles are shared between the pundits for them to tackle on their own, and in the process articles involving Brexit are commonly handed over to Brexiters?
This was very much the situation on the morning of May 7th; when the two-member panel included the campaign manager of the right-wing Taxpayers' Alliance, Chloe Westley.
Given a solo run at Theresa May's customs partnership plans, Miss Westley launched into a denunciation of them being indistinguishable from the customs union, how this would be 'a betrayal of the vote' and what a 'huge opportunity' leaving the customs union would be. At no time was the other contributor, disability campaigner Will Pike, asked to comment.
Three days before, very much the same had happened: Liz Kershaw was given a Daily Express article headlined 'The EU is dying', so she went on one of her anti-EU rants about 'their customs union trading bloc, bureaucratic, monolithic dinosaur, whatever you want to call it'. Neither the news presenter nor the other contributor challenged her. Often, this part of Sunrise seems to have become a mouthpiece for Brexit propaganda.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 2 Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about Caribbean holiday
- 3 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 4 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 5 Politics is moving back to a battlefield which does not suit Boris Johnson
- 6 Salmon industry insist officials miscalculated post-Brexit export figures
- 7 James Dyson moves main address back to the UK
- 8 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 9 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
- 10 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
• Send your letters for publication to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.