Government lawyers tried to stop Dominic Cummings being named in employment tribunal case
- Credit: PA
Dominic Cummings will be named as a respondent in an employment tribunal case made by a former aide to ex-chancellor Sajid Javid - despite attempts by government lawyers to remove him.
Barristers for Sonia Khan - who was fired by the prime minister's chief adviser last year and escorted out of Downing Street by police officers - are said to have successfully argued that Cummings' behaviour is pivotal to her case.
The Guardian said government solicitors attempted to argue that his name should be removed and replaced with that of the Cabinet Office in Khan's claims of sex discrimination and unfair dismissal.
At an employment tribunal hearing in central London, the paper said it was ruled that the Cabinet Office could be added as a respondent but that Cummings' name would also remain.
It is understood to be standard government practice to ask for the employing department to be named as respondent in litigation rather than individual employees.
Have your say
Send your letters for publication to The New European by emailing email@example.com and pick up an edition each Thursday for more comment and analysis. Find your nearest stockist here or subscribe to a print or digital edition for just £13. You can also join our readers' Facebook group to keep the discussion and debate going with thousands of fellow pro-Europeans.
You may also want to watch:
A five-day hearing is scheduled for December, at which Cummings is expected to be summoned as a witness.
A government spokeswoman said: 'We don't comment on ongoing legal matters.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.