‘Boris Johnson is amoral and unfit for the job’ says former aide
- Credit: Archant
A former aide for the prime minister has said Boris Johnson is not fit for the job, is amoral, and cannot be trusted on anything.
Speaking to LBC Radio's James O'Brien, the former Conservative MP Nick Boles said: "I think [Johnson] is totally unfit and unqualified to be prime minister.
"Boris has qualities. He has likeability, he's quite fun to be around. I happen to think that he was a good candidate and even a pretty good mayor of London, because it's not frankly a job that has enormous responsibilities," he said.
Boles added: "He's an entirely amoral figure.
"And while you're basically Comedian-in-Chief as Mayor of London, maybe that's ok. But it's really not ok when you are leading the nation through one of its most difficult periods."
You may also want to watch:
READ MORE: Johnson criticised for masturbatory insult to Jeremy CorbynREAD MORE: FULL LIST: The 100 seats which will decide the electionNick Boles severed as an MP for Grantham and Stamford in Lincolnshire between 2010 and 2019, when he resigned from the party in a row over Brexit.
"The reality is we can't rely on anything he says.
- 1 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 2 Why Bristol is the street art city
- 3 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 4 Boris Johnson enjoys splendid isolation
- 5 A very nearly enchanted evening
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
- 8 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 9 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 10 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
"Nigel Farage has just stood down half of the Brexit Party candidates based on a promise that Boris Johnson supposedly gave in a video about not extending the transition.
"Now we, all of us, have to hope that Boris Johnson is going to betray Nigel Farage just like he's betrayed everybody else in his life."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.