‘You created this mess, you fix it!’ - French politician slams Boris Johnson on Brexit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A former minister within Emmanuel Macron's government has bluntly told the UK that it caused the Brexit mess and that it must fix it.
MEP Nathalie Loiseau was appearing on BBC Radio 5's Emma Barnett radio programme when she called on the UK to bring a palatable solution to the table rather than saying what it is against.
She told the radio presenter: "Let us be frank - you created a problem, you fix it.
"We did not create the problem of Brexit, we didn't tell the UK to leave."
When Barnett explained the importance of a deal between the UK and the EU, Loiseau pointed out that it was why the withdrawal agreement was struck.
You may also want to watch:
"That's the reason why we worked on the withdrawal agreement but you do want to work with us, you do want to have trade with us, you do need us for security.
"You have to fix the problem. You are the ones, or Boris Johnson is, saying you don't like the withdrawal agreement."
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
And she refuted suggestions that the EU should be the ones to blink first as the UK heads towards a no-deal Brexit.
"Please bring the [a proposal] to the table. What have you been doing for the past three years?
"I'm sorry to say that but the previous prime minister was not able to pass a withdrawal agreement she repeatedly said she would be able to pass in the Commons. We were not the ones in power in London, she failed.
"She did not provide a new solution, she repeatedly said, 'I'm going there again and it shall pass'."
She continued: "Now Boris Johnson says, 'I'm not willing to come until the EU27 change their minds.'
"But we will not change what we believe in - it's a matter of conviction. This is serious, it is not poker, we are not playing cards."
Previously Loiseau reminded the UK that it could still revoke Article 50.
"Britain could still cancel Brexit and stay in the European Union on the same terms it currently enjoys", she said.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.