Blair: ‘Even if we land a Brexit deal, it will be bad’
- Credit: Sky News
Former prime minister Tony Blair said that even if the UK government lands a Brexit deal, it will be a bad one for the country.
Speaking during Sophy Ridge on Sunday, Tony Blair said: 'They obviously could land a deal. But even the deal we land is going to be pretty bad, because even the deal the government wants is essentially going to be good for Europe, because it's going to allow easier trade in goods, but very inhibiting for us on the issue of services.'
He added that he does not think the government will be 'relaxed' about a no-deal Brexit, because the UK is facing multiple challenges already: 'If you've got coronavirus and all the economic dislocations that is causing with a no-deal Brexit on top of that, and then you've got issues to do with China and Chinese investments, I should imagine they will be trying to get a deal, let's hope they do.'
Blair said current Labour Party leader Keir Starmer has made the party competitive again by being a 'serious figure', and said that the government will need 'massive changes' to tackle future economic challenges.
The former prime minister also spoke about the report into Russia which was published this week, and which shows that the UK government 'badly underestimated the threat from Russia and has been playing catch-up', according to Ridge.
You may also want to watch:
Blair said: 'If someone is interfering with your democratic process you have to know about it. There are governments who want to weaken the west we know why they want to do it.
'It would be wise to investigate what happened and prepare for the future by building the capability of investigating foreign governments, because this is interference will be stronger and stronger.'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 8 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
- 9 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 10 Dominic Cummings dodges £50k in unpaid taxes after decision to 'write off' charges
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.