SNP could win an extra 11 MPs at the general election, polling analysis finds
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The SNP could gain 11 extra MPs at the general election, new polling analysis has found.
A YouGov poll for the Times puts support for the Scottish National Party at 44%, up one point on polling in August.
The Tories in Scotland are on 28%, up eight points from the last poll, while Labour remains on 15%.
They are followed by the Liberal Democrats with 12% support, the same as in August, and the Greens with 1%, down three points.
According to projections by polling expert Sir John Curtice, this would see the number of SNP MPs increase from 35 to 46.
You may also want to watch:
Writing in the Times, he said: "Most of the seats being defended by the Conservatives are highly marginal.
"Consequently, even if the party retains all the support it won in 2017, it could still lose a significant number of seats if, as our poll suggests, support for the SNP increases."
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
The analysis suggests the Conservatives would secure eight seats in Scotland, the Liberal Democrats four and Labour one.
SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford welcomed the poll.
He said: "This stunning poll is a huge boost for the SNP in the final days of the election campaign - but there is a lot more work to do before polling day.
"This poll shows that it is only a vote for the SNP at this election that can lock Boris Johnson out of No 10, protect the NHS and see Scotland escape Brexit - and we will be pressing that message right up until 10pm on polling day.
"The SNP is the main challenger in every Tory-held seat, the strongest party of Remain, and the only party offering people in Scotland a choice over our future."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.