Tory MP complains ‘taking back control’ has led to handing power to Dominic Cummings
- Credit: PA
A sacked Tory minister has hit out at Dominic Cummings for 'taking back control' and seemingly using that power for himself.
Appearing on BBC Politics Live, George Freeman claimed he was a supporter of Boris Johnson's Brexit vision, but he says he fears that the prime minister risks not being able to deliver.
Speaking about his sacking from the Department of Transport, the former minister said: 'Three of us at the department of transport were moved out and I think that's because Dominic Cummings and the team have got a masterplan, much of which I support actually, which is about infrastructure, science and treasury and fiscal stimuli to level up.
'But I think the danger is that we have to deliver and if we're really going to deliver regeneration and infrastructure and renewal for those towns and cities up north, but also costal communities and rural areas like mine, you need a delivery mechanism.
'When people voted to take back control in Mid Norfolk, they didn't mean for it to stop at Dominic Cummings' desk.'
You may also want to watch:
Warning against an unelected bureaucrat like Cummings holding all the power and not delivering, he said: 'We've got to learn the lessons of repeated failure by successive governments announcing a lot of money, putting out a fund, rush it out, fund white elephants, doesn't make a difference.
'And we've got to make sure that we really empower and devolve and allow the places that have got to renew and regenerate to control their own destiny.
- 1 Boris Johnson’s latest offence shouldn’t be overlooked
- 2 Our PM demonstrates why Latin lessons plan is a bad idea
- 3 The cannabis conundrum
- 4 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 5 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 6 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 7 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 10 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
'And that was really what the Brexit vote was all about.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.