German comedy sketch mocks Britain as it compares Brexit to an escape room
- Credit: Archant
A German comedy sketch has mocked Britain by portraying characters representing the Brexit debate in an escape room - unable to get out because they will not work together.
The sketch, which appeared on public television channel NDR, is a flavour of how the rest of Europe views Brexit Britain.
In the stint, as the three characters are locked in the room, a hard Brexiteer refuses to follow the rules or the puzzles to leave.
Instead he claims he will 'just go through the door' shouting 'hard Brexit!'
As he runs to the door he is floored... but that does not stop him continuing to try.
A second Leaver picks up a card that encourages them all to negotiate a free trade agreement to leave.
But the Remainer in the room decides they like it there - and cannot see the point in leaving, instead stereotypically offering a pot of tea.
- 1 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 2 Where the fires of Brexit still burn fiercest
- 3 Be careful what you wish for... voting reform could kill Labour
- 4 Boris Johnson's awkward moment with the Queen
- 5 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
- 6 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 7 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 8 How the Kominsky Method grapples with growing old
- 9 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 10 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
The compromising Leaver then announces he has a plan for the free trade agreement - to little enthusiasm from the Remainer in the room or the hard Brexiteer who continues to try to force himself through the door.
By the end of the sketch the Brexiteer believes he has the key to leaving, only to huff and puff as the Remainer takes the key and swallows it.
It leaves the hard Brexiteer continuing to run at the door repeatedly.
The sketch was produced for NDR's weekly political satirical programme Extra3.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.