‘People died, we won’t forgive you’ - Man confronts Jo Swinson on austerity
- Credit: Archant
Jo Swinson was stopped in the streets of Glasgow this morning by a young man who confronted her about her party's impact on austerity in the region.
The young man called Jay Sutherland stops Swinson to tell her: "I just think it's unforgiveable what you've done to Glasgow. People have died. We have poverty because of what you have done in this area
"I know people who have suffered so much it breaks my heart.
"People have died from austerity - you know that? Because the Lib Dems enabled it."
A video of the confrontation has already racked up over 30,000 views on Twitter.
You may also want to watch:
In the video Sutherland went on to explain that the Lib Dems did not do enough while supporting the Conservatives in government to prevent austerity, also adding they 'betrayed' students.
Swinson replies: "I'd encourage you to look at what our plans are, we're setting aside a lot more money to put into universal credit to make sure people get the help they need."
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 4 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 7 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 8 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 9 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 10 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
But for Sutherland: "It's just not good enough."
READ MORE: How Scotland could swing the general electionREAD MORE: 'Don't trust the billionaires' - Viral anti-Tory campaign criticises right-wing pressHe says: "I live in Scotland and luckily get free education but the Lib Dems betrayed students in England. I don't think people will ever forgive you for that."
Swinson replied saying that she understands why Jay feels very strongly about that before Willie Rennie, leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats, tries to change the conversation by asking Jay what he thinks of Brexit.
"I just think the Lib Dems have not got any chance of stopping Brexit, but Labour has," he said.
When asked about his thoughts on the climate emergency Jay says "the Lib Dems support capitalism and capitalism is not a viable option."
Swinson then says she is a supporter of capitalism abut that Jay is entitled to his views on socialism, before Jay brings the conversation back to his original point, stating: "I think this is the area hit hardest by austerity in Scotland".
Replying to the tweet which got a lot of traction, Sutherland said: "Jo and Willie were both extremely patronising, sickening to see that they completely ignored austerity and moved on to a topic that suited them.
"Glasgow and the everyone affected by austerity will never forgive them."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.