Piers Morgan mocks ‘fantastic news’ Boris Johnson is finally ‘taking control’ of the coronavirus
- Credit: Archant
Good Morning Britain presenters Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid have mocked Boris Johnson over claims that the prime minister is finally taking control of the UK's coronavirus response.
A Telegraph report suggests that Johnson is now to take charge - almost six months after the first case arrived on British soil with the political leader taking a more 'centralised' approach to the pandemic response.
'I'm glad to see, I have to say Piers, the prime minister has finally taken control,' quipped Reid.
Mocking the prime minister, Morgan responded: 'Well it's fantastic news...'
Reid explained: 'It says on the front page of the Daily Telegraph today prime minister Boris Johnson is taking 'direct control' of the coronavirus crisis.'
Morgan, laughing, replied: 'Literally. You couldn't make that up. It's June. This crisis began in January.'
You may also want to watch:
Slamming the report, his co-host continued: 'He's the prime minister, we understand he got ill, we know that and he's been recovering but the idea you have to report a story that the government is finally taking control...'
Morgan, putting on a mocking voice, continued: ''I'm finally taking control'. Well done, mate, well done. Fantastic. You're the prime minister. We kind of assumed you were in control!'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 9 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 10 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.