Piers Morgan tells Brexiteers not to ‘bother voting again’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Piers Morgan has told Leave voters they shouldn't bother voting again, with a number of Brexiteers agreeing that it was 'the only way to ensure democracy'.
In what some considered a counterproductive measure, the Good Morning Britain presenter took to Twitter to claim that "none of us should ever bother voting again".
It was part of a rant in which he said it was an "absolute disgrace" that the British vote had not been delivered - despite Morgan himself claiming to have backed Remain.
His argument divided Leave voters - with several baffled what good it would bring if Brexiteers didn't turn out to vote.
He said: "The only unarguable fact about this Brexit fiasco is that there's now a concerted campaign driven by parliament to stop it happening. And as someone who voted Remain, I think it's an absolute disgrace. If Britain doesn't deliver Brexit, none of us should ever bother voting again."
You may also want to watch:
Brexiteer MP Kate Hoey agreed and tweeted: "Unfortunately that's what the establishment want to happen They hope those people who came out to vote for the first time ever and voted Leave will go back into their box and allow 'normal politics'. But the betrayal is so great this is not going to happen."
Another argued: "This is democracy at work. I applaud you highlighting this, @piersmorgan."
- 1 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 2 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 3 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 4 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 5 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 8 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 9 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 10 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
Brian Spancock wrote: "He's right. The only way to ensure democracy is not to vote."
Others on both sides of the EU referendum debate were confused as to how it helped their cause.
Brexiteer broadcaster Julia Hartley-Brewer wrote: "The only bit of this tweet I disagree with is 'not bothering to vote ever again'. On the contrary! When MPs ignore your vote, it's even *more* vital to make sure you use your vote to kick the arrogant sods out."
Mike Flint said: "If you want to sum up the idiocy of "do or die" logic, then nothing works better than saying that you'll never vote again if this doesn't happen. Just think for one second what you're saying you'll do."
David Jack wrote: "On the contrary Piers, we should vote the buggers out at the earliest possible opportunity."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.