Government apologises after website offering coronavirus tests runs out in two minutes
- Credit: PA
The government's coronavirus testing website was overwhelmed as it opened to new bookings on Friday, with home testing kits running out in the first two minutes of the site going live.
Up to 10 million key workers and their households in England are now eligible for coronavirus tests if they have symptoms as the government races to hit its 100,000-a-day testing target by next Thursday.
Under the expansion, NHS and social care staff, police officers, teachers, social workers, undertakers, journalists and those who work in supermarkets and food production are among those now eligible.
People can register on the gov.uk website for an appointment at a drive-through centre or can request a home test kit, but it ran out almost immediately after opening to bookings at 6am.
The PM's spokesman said: 'Within two minutes of the portal opening this morning, 5,000 testing kits had been ordered.
You may also want to watch:
'And that's the available capacity for today.'
The spokesman said up to 18,000 home testing kits per day will be available by the end of next week.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 4 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 5 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 6 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
- 9 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
Another 15,000 tests are anticipated to take place at the drive-through centres on Friday, the PM's spokesman added.
Number 10 said the government is trusting that those applying for tests are key workers, with no eligibility checks in place for online bookings.
The official spokesman said: 'As with many other aspects of the coronavirus response, we would expect the public to respond in good faith.
'That is what they have done with other aspects of the scheme, I think we'd expect it to be the same here.'
On testing being rolled out to other groups, the spokesman added: 'We want the capacity that we have in the system to be used and you can see this morning that the system is working, people are booking slots and now they are going to be able to undergo tests.'
Asked whether the government was confident people would be able to test themselves accurately with a kit sent to their homes, the spokesman added: 'There are videos available to show people how to do this and people will be given clear instructions.
'We would hope they would be able to do this, yes.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.