Government forced to deny Brexit threat to Strictly Come Dancing
Brexit will pose no threat to Strictly Come Dancing, Downing Street has been forced to declare amid fears foreign dancers could be barred.
Liberal Democrat leader Sir Vince Cable - who appeared on a Strictly Christmas special in 2010 - has claimed that immigration restrictions could deprive the show of talented foreign professional dancers.
Sir Vince warned that a "cack-handed" immigration policy could prevent dancers from EU states appearing on the show after Brexit.
But a Downing Street spokeswoman said: "I think Strictly will be fine."
During a visit to Brussels yesterday for talks with EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, Sir Vince told the Telegraph: "As British society falls apart it could pose a risk to Strictly."
You may also want to watch:
Sir Vince, a keen ballroom dancer, said: "If we have a cack-handed immigration policy like what we have for non-EU citizens, all kinds of perverse decisions could be made."
- 1 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 2 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 3 Britons living in Spain refused Covid jab 'due to Brexit', report claims
- 4 The truth about 'buy British'
- 5 Downing Street announces plans to change English voting system following string of Labour victories
- 6 MP insists he will 'earn every penny' after becoming council leader too
- 7 Tories could push for 2023 general election after axing key legislation
- 8 How Brexit dealt a hammer blow to diplomatic relations
- 9 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 10 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.