It’s time for the Greens and Lib Dems to collaborate to change the system - and stop Brexit
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
ALAN HAUSER says an electoral alliance is a price worth paying to stop Nigel Farage.
It may be satisfying to add up the Remain parties' votes to prove we are in the majority but it will be completely useless if Farage becomes PM with 30% of the vote in an accidental general election. The Tories, Labour, Lib Dems and resurgent Greens would average 17.5%.
Prime minister Farage may seem fanciful but there was a time when Donald Trump as president was a ridiculous thought. It could happen here.
All the old-school parties are myopic and self-obsessed. So it may be difficult to achieve what is desperately needed - an electoral alliance between the Lib Dems and Greens.
Their leaders and supporters will have to make several leaps of faith and concessions. But the huge benefits are not only to stop Brexit, but also to introduce a PR electoral system - in both parties' long-term interests and a first step for this fractured nation to heal. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to consolidate the tactical vote.
You may also want to watch:
Parties working collaboratively together to achieve common aims is the European way. Please can they start now over here? This is an emergency!
- 1 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 2 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 3 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
- 4 Five years of Brexit summed up by Cold War Steve
- 5 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 6 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 7 English to be temporarily replaced by French as EU's 'working language' in 2022
- 8 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 9 Priti Patel urged to publish promised assessment on impact of ending freedom of movement
- 10 Britain is becalmed by apathy: Where is the rage?
- What do you think? Send your letters to email@example.com and pick up a copy of the newspaper every Thursday for two pages of letters.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.