Greens expected to stand aside to support Lib Dems’ by-election fight
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Green Party is expected to stand aside for the Brecon and Radnor by-election in a bid to show 'Remain unity'.
The election was called after a recall petition received more than 10% of support from electors in the constituency.
It followed Tory MP Chris Davies' conviction for faking expenses claims after submitting two false expenses invoices for landscape photographs to decorate his new office.
In 2017, the Tories held a majority of more than 8,000 in the constituency, but this could easily be overturned in the current political climate.
The constituency voted narrowly by 51.86% to Leave with 48.14% backing Remain, in a country that appears to be moving away from its support for Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
With Labour in a distant third place in 2017 with 7,335 votes, it makes sense for anti-Brexit parties to collaborate.
The Greens are expected to stand aside for the vote, with Plaid Cymru considering making a similar move.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 8 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
Best for Britain CEO Naomi Smith said: "The Greens have a proud history of putting country before party in the national interest, and we welcome their brave move to stand aside in Brecon and Radnorshire.
"This by-election provides a real opportunity for all remain parties to join forces and stop the new PM taking us out of the EU against the will of this House and the country.
"75,000 people have already signed a petition calling on internationalist in MPs in all parties to work better together, and this is an example of exactly that in action."
Now it's over to Change UK to confirm their intentions...
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.