EU to demand UK keeps ban on chlorinated chicken in trade talks
- Credit: PA
The EU is reportedly planning to demand that the UK keeps its ban on chlorinated chicken as part of trade talks with Brussels.
In a move that will protect European meat exports and create problems for a US trade deal, the Guardian reports France is insisting that a clause is inserted into the negotiating mandate which calls for both sides to protect "health and product sanitary quality in the food and agriculture sector".
The text - which will appear in the EU chief's negiotiator Michel Barnier's document - will allow the EU to ensure that methods of food production used in the US will not be used in the UK.
A fresh row emerged over the weekend after environment secretary George Eustice refused to rule out chlorinated chicken and hormone-injected beef entering the UK and appearing on supermarket shelves.
The stance has concerned the European Union who fear the impact this could have on British meat and poultry.
You may also want to watch:
The National Farmers' Union (NFU) has also expressed concerns, with its president Minette Batters saying that the government must show "global leadership" by telling potential trading partners around the world that they must "trade on our terms" by adhering to UK food standards.
She said: "We must not tie the hands of British farmers to the highest rung of the standards ladder while waving through food imports which may not even reach the bottom rung."
- 1 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 2 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 3 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 4 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 5 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 8 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 9 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 10 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.