Chief Brexit negotiator: Farage is ‘biggest waste of money in the EU’
- Credit: EU Parliament
A clip of the European Parliament's chief Brexit negotiator telling Nigel Farage he is the 'biggest waste of money in the EU' has gone viral on social media.
In the video Belgian MEP Guy Verhofstadt responds to the former UKIP leader's rant about the cost of the European Union by telling him it is his EU salary and lack of attendance that is the real scandal.
Speaking to the parliament, with Farage sitting nearby, he says: 'Nigel Farage has the whole morning talked about salaries and the biggest waste of money. Well you know colleagues what I think is the biggest waste of money in the European Union today, that's the salary we all pay to Mr Farage.
'That is the biggest waste of money. No Mr Farage, let's be honest about it.'
Verhofstaft also used the speech to attack Farage's lack of attendance at the fisheries committees.
You may also want to watch:
'That is the biggest waste of money. No Mr Farage, let's be honest about it. You are a member of the fisheries committee for example, and you are never there. Never. In 2011, no attendance, in 2012, no attendance.
He continued: 'It is fantastic what you are doing. You are coming here saying it is a scandal, the salaries that are paid, and you pay yourself a salary without doing any labour in your own committee that is the reality of the European Union today.
- 1 US election result could spark 'end of Brexit', claims peer
- 2 Brexiteer says EU 'spiteful' to end fast-track lanes for Brits after Brexit
- 3 STAR TURNS: Bond star haunted by school tragedy
- 4 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 5 Former Labour MP tells Jeremy Corbyn to retire after being suspended from party
- 6 Nigel Farage places £10,000 bet on Donald Trump to win second White House term
- 7 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
- 8 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
- 9 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 10 Donald Trump supporters duped into thanking 'Satan' for backing president's re-election campaign
'You can laugh, I hope that this can maybe send out to the BBC maybe once and all the other private television in Britain, how you are cheating your own citizens here, all the time, already there times in a row.'
The footage, which was originally made in 2012 but recently reposted to social media, has been watched more than 3 million times on Facebook.
In his latest tweet Verhofstaft said: 'Instead of throwing dead fish in the Thames, Nigel Farage should have done his job as a member of the fisheries committee in the European Parliament, as I told him already years ago!'
At The New European, we pride ourselves on the high quality of our contributors and experts, and believe we play a valuable - and much needed - role in media plurality, offering an alternative perspective to the right-wing, anti-EU outlets dominating UK media. We depend on the support of our subscribers and readers to cover our costs. Your contribution, however small or large, will help ensure our sustainability. Please click here to choose a plan.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.