Guy Verhofstadt joins Lib Dems on Remainer campaign trail
- Credit: PA
Guy Verhofstadt, has predicted a Remain surge as he goes out canvassing with the Liberal Democrats.
He joined Vince Cable in London, saying the party offers an "alternative to nationalism".
Verhofstadt is the leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe Party (ALDE), the Europe-wide body of Lib Dem parties, and said he was there not as Brexit negotiator but "as the leader of the liberals and democrats for Europe".
Asked if his presence could be seen as foreign interference, Mr Verhofstadt said: "This is Europe. Europe, it's all Europe.
"I think it's important to show that the European liberals and democrats support Vince Cable," he said, telling people to support the Lib Dems.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to show by coming here a message to the continent to say 'never repeat Brexit again'.
"I'm a Lib Dem. It's natural that people are looking to the Lib Dems when it comes to European elections.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 3 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 4 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 5 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 6 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 7 Pret a Manger founder against lockdown because it will only 'save a few thousand lives'
- 8 Viktor Orban has eyes on a Brexit opportunity
- 9 Questions over Nigel Farage's quarantine status as he appears on stage with Donald Trump at rally
- 10 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
"We want to be the alternative for nationalism and popularism.
"What I think is there will be a huge support for Remain."
Sir Vince said his party is combatting "ugly populism" and nationalism in the elections.
"We are patriotic people in our different countries, but we are fighting nationalism," he said.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.