Guy Verhofstadt says the ‘Brexit revolt’ has started
- Credit: PA
The European Parliament's top Brexit official has said that there is now a 'real Brexit revolt' in the United Kingdom.
The European Parliament's top Brexit official has said that 'we see for the moment a real Brexit revolt' in the United Kingdom, with more than five million people signing an online petition to revoke Britain's decision to leave the EU and a million taking to the streets to stay in the EU.
Guy Verhofstadt said he felt especially encouraged by the vote in the House of Commons seizing more control over the stalled Brexit process.
That has set up a series of votes this week that could dramatically alter the course of the UK's departure.
Verhofstadt said: 'It is possible now to work in Britain toward a cross-party alliance.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I hope it will lead to a proposal that can be backed by a majority (in Westminster).'
Last night he tweeted: 'Parliament takes control. An opportunity to build a cross-party cooperation leading to an enhanced political declaration & a closer future relationship! #Brexit'
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 6 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 7 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 8 Fears government could scrap workers' rights in post-Brexit overhaul of labour laws
- 9 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 10 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.