Guy Verhofstadt says the ‘Brexit revolt’ has started
- Credit: PA
The European Parliament's top Brexit official has said that there is now a 'real Brexit revolt' in the United Kingdom.
The European Parliament's top Brexit official has said that 'we see for the moment a real Brexit revolt' in the United Kingdom, with more than five million people signing an online petition to revoke Britain's decision to leave the EU and a million taking to the streets to stay in the EU.
Guy Verhofstadt said he felt especially encouraged by the vote in the House of Commons seizing more control over the stalled Brexit process.
That has set up a series of votes this week that could dramatically alter the course of the UK's departure.
Verhofstadt said: 'It is possible now to work in Britain toward a cross-party alliance.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I hope it will lead to a proposal that can be backed by a majority (in Westminster).'
Last night he tweeted: 'Parliament takes control. An opportunity to build a cross-party cooperation leading to an enhanced political declaration & a closer future relationship! #Brexit'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
- 8 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 9 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 10 Dominic Cummings dodges £50k in unpaid taxes after decision to 'write off' charges
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.