Guy Verhofstadt says the ‘Brexit revolt’ has started
- Credit: PA
The European Parliament's top Brexit official has said that there is now a 'real Brexit revolt' in the United Kingdom.
The European Parliament's top Brexit official has said that 'we see for the moment a real Brexit revolt' in the United Kingdom, with more than five million people signing an online petition to revoke Britain's decision to leave the EU and a million taking to the streets to stay in the EU.
Guy Verhofstadt said he felt especially encouraged by the vote in the House of Commons seizing more control over the stalled Brexit process.
That has set up a series of votes this week that could dramatically alter the course of the UK's departure.
Verhofstadt said: 'It is possible now to work in Britain toward a cross-party alliance.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I hope it will lead to a proposal that can be backed by a majority (in Westminster).'
Last night he tweeted: 'Parliament takes control. An opportunity to build a cross-party cooperation leading to an enhanced political declaration & a closer future relationship! #Brexit'
- 1 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 2 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 3 The reverse Midas touch of Michael Gove
- 4 Why can't the English see what the Scots and Welsh can?
- 5 Is the end finally nigh for EU's most notorious leader?
- 6 First black female mayor elected in Liverpool as Labour holds on to role
- 7 Nicola Sturgeon concedes Holyrood majority for SNP is a ‘very long shot’
- 8 Labour claims ‘extraordinary results’ in Welsh Parliament election
- 9 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 10 Scotland ‘united against the fascists’ after far-right candidates rejected
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.