McDonnell says a People’s Vote is an option - but it wouldn’t include option to Remain
- Credit: PA
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has claimed that a People's Vote from Labour might not include an option to Remain.
Speaking to ITV's Good Morning Britain McDonnell said the form of the question would be decided by parliament but said 'it will be about whether you accept the deal or not, or whether you send people back to negotiate a proper deal'.
Instead he has insisted that the 'real people's vote' would be a general election.
He said: 'What will be put to conference is what I've been arguing for for quite a bit - that we respect the referendum, of course we do, but we want a general election.
'But when Theresa May comes back with a supposed deal, we'll see what she comes back with, we'll put it against the tests we have advocated, the main test is about protecting jobs and the economy.
You may also want to watch:
'If it doesn't meet those tests, yes, we want a general election, but we will keep the option of a people's vote on the table just in case.'
He acknowledged the debate 'may be rumbustious' but said the chance of a general election would offer the opportunity to change the team carrying out the negotiations with Brussels, replacing Theresa May and her ministers.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
McDonnell was speaking to breakfast television after the party finally thrashed out a motion that the leadership considered acceptable to put to members.
The text states 'if we cannot get a general election, Labour must support all options remaining on the table, including campaigning for a public vote'.
The weakened support for a People's Vote is despite polls showing overwhelming support within the party membership for a referendum on the final deal, and thousands turning out over the weekend to march for a final say outside the party's conference.
While some have accused the party of serving up more 'fudge', a People's Vote campaign spokesman said the conference motion was 'clear movement' towards adopting a referendum.
'The leadership knows where the members are and they know where their voters are.
'And the voices demanding a democratic final say on the outcome of Brexit negotiations are only going to get louder in the weeks to come as the gap between what was promised two years ago and reality gets wider.'
The spokesman added: 'If this motion is passed by delegates on Tuesday, it will show that Labour now also recognises that if an election is not possible, it will have no real option but a People's Vote.
'There are no other options available short of crashing out or relying on the EU to grant the government extra time to renegotiate.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.