McDonnell says a People’s Vote is an option - but it wouldn’t include option to Remain
- Credit: PA
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has claimed that a People's Vote from Labour might not include an option to Remain.
Speaking to ITV's Good Morning Britain McDonnell said the form of the question would be decided by parliament but said 'it will be about whether you accept the deal or not, or whether you send people back to negotiate a proper deal'.
Instead he has insisted that the 'real people's vote' would be a general election.
He said: 'What will be put to conference is what I've been arguing for for quite a bit - that we respect the referendum, of course we do, but we want a general election.
'But when Theresa May comes back with a supposed deal, we'll see what she comes back with, we'll put it against the tests we have advocated, the main test is about protecting jobs and the economy.
You may also want to watch:
'If it doesn't meet those tests, yes, we want a general election, but we will keep the option of a people's vote on the table just in case.'
He acknowledged the debate 'may be rumbustious' but said the chance of a general election would offer the opportunity to change the team carrying out the negotiations with Brussels, replacing Theresa May and her ministers.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 6 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 9 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
McDonnell was speaking to breakfast television after the party finally thrashed out a motion that the leadership considered acceptable to put to members.
The text states 'if we cannot get a general election, Labour must support all options remaining on the table, including campaigning for a public vote'.
The weakened support for a People's Vote is despite polls showing overwhelming support within the party membership for a referendum on the final deal, and thousands turning out over the weekend to march for a final say outside the party's conference.
While some have accused the party of serving up more 'fudge', a People's Vote campaign spokesman said the conference motion was 'clear movement' towards adopting a referendum.
'The leadership knows where the members are and they know where their voters are.
'And the voices demanding a democratic final say on the outcome of Brexit negotiations are only going to get louder in the weeks to come as the gap between what was promised two years ago and reality gets wider.'
The spokesman added: 'If this motion is passed by delegates on Tuesday, it will show that Labour now also recognises that if an election is not possible, it will have no real option but a People's Vote.
'There are no other options available short of crashing out or relying on the EU to grant the government extra time to renegotiate.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.