Boris Johnson heckler defends BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg for revealing Labour link
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A father who confronted Boris Johnson at an NHS hospital has defended the BBC's political editor after she faced criticism for pointing out he is a Labour activist.
Omar Salem said Laura Kuenssberg was doing her job "without fear or favour", after a Twitter storm in which she was condemned for potentially opening him up to abuse online over the incident.
After Salem took Boris Johnson to task during a visit to a children's ward at Whipps Cross University Hospital, where his seven-day-old daughter is being treated, Kuenssberg told her followers he was a Labour activist, before linking to one of his posts about the incident.
It prompted fury from many social media users, with some suggesting it could "direct harassment" at Salem, and causing #SackLauraKuenssberg to begin trending online.
But Salem tweeted: "@bbclaurak is doing her job without fear or favour, which is a vital part of democracy. I don't think 'Labour activist cares about NHS' is a huge scoop though..."
The BBC had earlier said any suggestion Kuenssberg had maliciously shared Salem's tweet was "absurd".
You may also want to watch:
In a statement it said: "Laura is a journalist who uses social media as part of her job.
"Like many others, Laura quote-tweeted a thread by Omar Salem, who had written himself about his encounter with the PM on social media and describes himself as a Labour activist.
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 5 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 6 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 7 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 8 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 9 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 10 The Fuhrer's fake news - one of history's greatest hoaxes
"Any suggestions there was malicious intent behind her tweets are absurd."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.