Boris Johnson heckler defends BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg for revealing Labour link
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A father who confronted Boris Johnson at an NHS hospital has defended the BBC's political editor after she faced criticism for pointing out he is a Labour activist.
Omar Salem said Laura Kuenssberg was doing her job "without fear or favour", after a Twitter storm in which she was condemned for potentially opening him up to abuse online over the incident.
After Salem took Boris Johnson to task during a visit to a children's ward at Whipps Cross University Hospital, where his seven-day-old daughter is being treated, Kuenssberg told her followers he was a Labour activist, before linking to one of his posts about the incident.
It prompted fury from many social media users, with some suggesting it could "direct harassment" at Salem, and causing #SackLauraKuenssberg to begin trending online.
But Salem tweeted: "@bbclaurak is doing her job without fear or favour, which is a vital part of democracy. I don't think 'Labour activist cares about NHS' is a huge scoop though..."
The BBC had earlier said any suggestion Kuenssberg had maliciously shared Salem's tweet was "absurd".
You may also want to watch:
In a statement it said: "Laura is a journalist who uses social media as part of her job.
"Like many others, Laura quote-tweeted a thread by Omar Salem, who had written himself about his encounter with the PM on social media and describes himself as a Labour activist.
- 1 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 2 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 5 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 6 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 7 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 8 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 9 Welsh government refused permission for legal challenge over post-Brexit bill
- 10 Annalena Baerbock: Can the Queen of Green seize the Bundestag?
"Any suggestions there was malicious intent behind her tweets are absurd."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.