Factory worker tells James O’Brien how rightwing tabloids skew workers’ opinions
- Credit: LBC
A factory worker calling in to James O'Brien's radio show has slammed newspapers like the Sun and the Daily Mail for 'brainwashing' his colleagues to support a no-deal Brexit.
Twenty-one-year-old Henry called into the LBC show to say he was the only one on his production line who doesn't read the rightwing tabloid press and said it's impossible to get through to his colleagues because of it.
Telling O'Brien that he couldn't see how a Corbyn government would be worse than a no-deal government, he said: "But that is not relevant because the media, the rightwing media, and all of the lies that are spread on a daily occurrence - they are louder than your truths."
He said that his fellow factory workers just call him an "idiot" or have a go at him.
"Quite frankly, you just get nowhere because every single day there'll be another lie or a ridiculous article, like the Corbyn chicken one," said Harry.
You may also want to watch:
He continued: "They pick up the Sun, which they do every day, the Daily Mail ... and every single day a bit more of a concrete foundation for their views is laid every time they read another lie. And it gets worse and worse."
He said he felt the attitude these papers build is leading to a Trump-like situation when the presidential candidate claimed he could stand in Fifth Avenue and shoot someone, and he wouldn't lose any votes.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 9 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
"The fundamental issue in this country is the media and I think they should be held accountable for lies and spreading lies just as businessmen are," he said.
He acknowledged that journalism is a complex area and there have always been lies and spin.
"But I think this brainwashing of everyone in this kind of industry I work in drastically needs to change," he said.
Henry, who said he is an avid listener of O'Brien's show, has had a fantastic response from LBC listeners and O'Brien himself.
"You've made my day mate," said O'Brien. "I appreciate it's baby steps on the production line where you work - I've got one person and that's a hell of a lot better than none."
Times columnist Jenni Russell tweeted the segment saying: "This with the brilliant James O'Brien and an extremely astute 21-year-old is really worth five minutes of your time."
Twitter user Cecilia Danielsson said: "This 21 year old lad is fantastic. Real world critical thinking skills and eschewing rag tabloids. He gives me hope for the future."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.