‘Shaming’: Hillary Clinton weighs in on UK’s delay in releasing Russia report
- Credit: PA
Hillary Clinton has called Boris Johnson's government's delay in releasing a report into potential Russian interference in UK elections 'damaging, inexplicable and shaming'.
The 2016 US presidential candidate and ex-secretary of state told the Guardian that it was "incredibly surprising and unacceptable that in your country there is a government report sitting there about Russian influence and your current government isn't releasing it".
She added: "I mean, who do they think they are that they would keep information like that from the public, especially before an election?
"Well, I'll tell you who they think they are. They think that they are the all-powerful, strong men who should be ruling".
The report into Russian interference has been approved by the UK's intelligence agencies, and Downing Street was sent a final draft in mid-October but has not yet signed off the report.
You may also want to watch:
Dominic Grieve, chairman of the committee behind the report, called the decision to delay "jaw-dropping", as Downing Street said they would need six weeks to sign off the report.
READ MORE: Dominic Grieve says government's refusal to publish Russia report is 'bogus'READ MORE: Petition calling for release of 'Russian interference' report reaches six figuresA key investigation of the report is into attempts by Russia to affect the outcome of the 2016 EU referendum.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 3 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 4 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 5 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 6 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Boris Johnson told to apologise for incompetence in delivering his 'oven-ready' Brexit deal
- 9 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 10 Leaked government dossier warns of army street patrols if second Covid-19 wave and no-deal Brexit hit UK at same time
It is also believed the Russians had interfered in the 2016 US presidential campaign.
Clinton said: "Someone said to me: 'Quit with the Russians'. I said: 'I'll quit with the Russians when the Russians quit with us'. That's how I feel."
Hillary and Chelsea Clinton were being interviewed by the Guardian ahead of a co-authored book called 'the Book of Gutsy women'.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.