Boris Johnson accused of ‘prostituting himself’ to Russians for donations
- Credit: PA
Prime minister Boris Johnson has been accused of 'prostituting himself' to Russians to get donations for the Conservative Party.
Former Labour minister Lord Rooker made the claim in a House of Lords debate on the relationship between the UK and Russia.
The government said the value of business between the two countries amounted to £15.8 billion over the last year - with UK exports of £5.9 billion and Russian imports of £9.9 billion.
Questioning a trade minister, he asked: 'Will those figures be improved by the prime minister prostituting himself and his office in the interests of getting Russian money through the London laundromat into Tory party funds?'
Refuting the suggestion, Lord Grimstone of Boscobel told the Lords: 'Let me make it quite clear that money obtained through criminality or corruption is not welcome in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
'We have long recognised the corrosive risk of dirty money, including from Russia, being laundered in the UK. We continue to bring the full capabilities of law enforcement to bear against serious criminals, corrupt elites and their assets.'
But Lord Foulkes of Cumnock said that the questions had not been answered by the minister.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
'Does he accept that our trade negotiations with Russia are being compromised because of a total of £3.5 million in donations to the Tory party and payments to 14 government ministers from Russian sources?'
But the minister dismissed the suggestion. He replied: 'I thought that I had made it clear that there are no trade negotiations going on at the moment with Russia. I resent the assumption that Ministers would in any way be influenced by the matters to which the noble Lord refers.'
Earlier this year it was revealed the wife of a former close ally to Vladimir Putin paid £90,000 for a game of tennis with Boris Johnson, having previously paid for a £160,000 tennis match with Johnson and then prime minister David Cameron back in 2014.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.