How to make pierogi (stuffed potato dumplings)
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Jack Monroe shares her recipe for Polish stuffed potato dumplings
You may also want to watch:
200g self-raising flour, plus
extra for dusting
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 The cannabis conundrum
- 3 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 4 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 5 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 6 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 7 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 8 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 9 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
few pinches of salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
120ml warm water
1. first sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle. add the salt, oil and water and mix to form a soft dough.
2. Tip onto a floured worktop and knead for a few minutes until smoother. Cover and set to one side.
3. Drain and rinse the sauerkraut and pop it in to a pan of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer for 20 mins.
4. Finely chop the mushrooms and sling into a frying pan with the butter. Drain the sauerkraut and add it to the pan, and cook gently for 5 minutes to soften.
5. Roll the pastry out to around 3mm thick and cut into rounds. iuse the top of a pint glass for mine, but any large pastry cutter will do.Dollop a generous teaspoon of the mushroom-sauerkraut mix into the centre of each. fold and press the edges together with a fork.
6. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add your pierogi. Cook for 4 minutes, or until they float. remove with a slotted spoon, and serve with soured cream or thick natural yoghurt, and chopped herbs.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.