How will you vote in the 2018 local elections?
- Credit: Archant
This May there will be another opportunity for anti-Brexit voices to be heard as the next round of local elections take place around England.
32 London boroughs, 34 metropolitan boroughs, 68 district/borough councils and 17 unitary authorities will hold council elections.
On the same day there will be Mayoral elections in Hackney, Lewisham, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Watford and South Yorkshire.
While these elections are predominantly about determining who runs local government and services at a local level they also provide an indication of the national political picture, and are likely to provide a clearer picture of how people rate the present government.
Remain-supporting areas may punish the present Government for taking the country down a Hard Brexit route, while Leave-supporting areas could also decide Theresa May also is failing to deliver their demands.
You may also want to watch:
Will fortunes change for the Liberal Democrats in these elections? Has Labour done enough to keep Remainers on side?
For many EU citizens this could be the last ever opportunity to cast a vote in UK elections ahead of the proposed March 2019 date for leaving the EU.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
To better understand how Remain-supporting readers are intending to vote ahead of the elections on May 3rd we're running this non-scientific poll.
• Find out if there are local elections in your area, how to apply for a postal vote, and who your local candidates are on the 'Your Vote Matters' website.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.