How will you vote in the 2018 local elections?
- Credit: Archant
This May there will be another opportunity for anti-Brexit voices to be heard as the next round of local elections take place around England.
32 London boroughs, 34 metropolitan boroughs, 68 district/borough councils and 17 unitary authorities will hold council elections.
On the same day there will be Mayoral elections in Hackney, Lewisham, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Watford and South Yorkshire.
While these elections are predominantly about determining who runs local government and services at a local level they also provide an indication of the national political picture, and are likely to provide a clearer picture of how people rate the present government.
Remain-supporting areas may punish the present Government for taking the country down a Hard Brexit route, while Leave-supporting areas could also decide Theresa May also is failing to deliver their demands.
You may also want to watch:
Will fortunes change for the Liberal Democrats in these elections? Has Labour done enough to keep Remainers on side?
For many EU citizens this could be the last ever opportunity to cast a vote in UK elections ahead of the proposed March 2019 date for leaving the EU.
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 Jacob Rees-Mogg claims fish captured after Brexit deal came into effect were 'British and happier for it'
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 5 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 6 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 7 Spokesman indicates Boris Johnson has not read Brexit trade deal text
- 8 What Remainers should have done differently
- 9 Michel Barnier tells Britain Brexit red tape is here 'for good'
- 10 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
To better understand how Remain-supporting readers are intending to vote ahead of the elections on May 3rd we're running this non-scientific poll.
• Find out if there are local elections in your area, how to apply for a postal vote, and who your local candidates are on the 'Your Vote Matters' website.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.