Exclusive: Hardcore Remainers swing towards Liberal Democrats from Labour
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
An exclusive poll conducted by The New European shows Lib Dems set to profit in the election of June 8
Support for Labour among anti-Brexit Remain voters has swung dramatically to the Liberal Democrats, a survey of readers of The New European has shown.
The poll, of more than 1,300 respondents, compares how people voted in the 2015 General Election with how they intend to vote next month. It suggests the Liberal Democrats will double their share of the vote in this significant section of the population, while Labour's will halve.
Two thirds (66.6%) said they would be voting Lib Dem on June 8, with Labour on just 22.3%. This represents a huge swing since 2015, when 43.9% voted Labour, and 29.4% Lib Dem. Meanwhile, support for the Conservatives has almost evaporated, from 9.3% in 2015, to just 0.4% of readers saying they will vote Tory next month.
Readers were also asked whether they would vote for any party which promised another EU referendum, with 62.8% saying they would. The Liberal Democrats are currently the only major party to make such a pledge. However, it seems most people have conceded the chances of a second referendum are low. Just 9.3% think there will be another poll.
You may also want to watch:
The New European Editor Matt Kelly said: 'To put this in context, the respondents to this survey are readers of the most pro-EU newspaper in the country. So while it's massively skewed, it's also a very interesting take on what passionate Remainers are thinking as they weigh up choices in this General Election.
'We had plenty of anecdotal evidence that there was something of a shift of support from Labour to the Lib Dems but I was astonished at the massive swing. I think this demonstrates that for a proportion of the electorate, Brexit is an issue that transcends traditional political affiliation and Tim Farron's clarity is evidently trumping Jeremy Corbyn's foggy position.'
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 8 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 9 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 10 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.