Hugh Grant says the ‘country is finished’ when Brexit happens
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Actor Hugh Grant has claimed that 'the country's finished' after Brexit happens.
The Love Actually star was speaking to the Associated Press in an interview about his new film The Gentleman, alongside co-star Charlie Hunnam.
The interviewer briefly touched upon politics, asking him how he felt after the election result, in which he had campaigned for people to vote tactically to stop Boris Johnson.
"I'm just wondering, how are you feeling now everything's kind of settled?" the interviewer asked.
But a blunt sounding Grant simply responded: "No, it's a catastrophe".
You may also want to watch:
Trying to elaborate on his remarks, the reporter continued to ask: "So no… bright light on the horizon?"
"No, no, the country's finished," Grant replied.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 4 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 5 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 6 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 7 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 8 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 9 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 10 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
Pressed further on whether he feels any more encouraged by politics than before the election, he said he was not.
He said Brexit is a "catastrophe" and added that he believed "the country's finished".
The comments were criticised by Brexiteers including Piers Morgan, who has been a long-standing critic of the actor's politics.
"Hugh Grant is so disgusting. How dare he say Britain is 'finished'? The only thing that's 'finished' is this stuck-up arrogant twerp's credibility as any kind of political expert."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.