Jo Swinson signals she could work with Labour if Jeremy Corbyn quits
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson has signalled she would be more likely to work with Labour in the event of a hung parliament if Jeremy Corbyn stood down.
Swinson has insisted the Lib Dems would not put either Corbyn or Boris Johnson into Downing Street in the event of no party securing a Commons majority in the December 12 general election.
But asked about how she would react if Corbyn quit as Labour leader after the poll result, Swinson told PA: "Obviously we don't know who the personalities would be in that circumstance, but we will obviously take a view on that depending on what circumstance we find ourselves in.
"I have been working with people from the Labour Party, and people from the Conservative Party, and the SNP, and Plaid Cymru, and the Green Party to try and stop Brexit and try and secure a People's Vote so that we can remain in the EU.
"I've been doing that for the last couple of years and I will certainly be continuing to do that.
You may also want to watch:
"Obviously, Jeremy Corbyn... is completely unfit to be prime minister, as is Boris Johnson for a whole host of different reasons.
"And so, if Labour are in a situation where they consider that Jeremy Corbyn is no longer fit to lead them, then we will of course look to keep working with people to try and secure a People's Vote."
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 4 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 5 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 6 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 7 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn loses bid to release Labour documents ahead of High Court battle
- 9 Nicola Sturgeon tells Boris Johnson to 'work from home' instead as he plans trip to Scotland
- 10 Boris Johnson is the 'worst PM' and should resign, says Alastair Campbell
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.